These steps can help you live a healthier life.
Keep your body active.
Staying active as you get older is one of the best things you can do for your health.
- - Do moderate aerobic activites– like walking, swimming, or raking leaves. Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes a week.
- - To get the most health benefits, do aerobic activity for at least 10 minutes at a time.
- - If it’s hard for you to be active for more than 10 minutes at once, do 10 minutes of activity a few times during the day.
It's also important to:
- - Do strengthening activities 2 or more days a week.
- - Do exercises to help your balance, especially if you are at risk of falling.
- - Try stretching exercises so you can move more easily during everyday activities.
If you have a health condition, be as active as you can be. Talk with your doctor about the best activities for you.
Get ideas for eating healthy.
Eating Healthy is always important, no matter how old you are. It’s never too late to make healthy changes to your diet.
Try these tips:
- - Choose lots of vegetables and fruits in different colors.
- - Make sure most of your grains are whole grains, like brown rice and whole wheat.
- - Drink low-fat or fat-free milk, and eat other low-fat dairy products.
- - Choose healthy sources of protein like seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, beans, and nuts.
- - Stay away from trans and saturated fats, cholesterol, and added sugars.
- - Limit the amount of salt you eat.
If you smoke, quit.
Quitting smoking is one of the most important things you can do for your health. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) for free help with quitting.
If you have a history of heavy smoking and you smoke now or have quit within the past 15 years,ask your doctor about screening for lung cancer.
Get regular checkups.
Your doctor or nurse can help you stay healthy as you get older.
- - Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions or problems with your medicines.
- - If you think you might be depressed, let your doctor know. Depression can be treated and is nothing to be ashamed of.
If you have Medicare, be sure to schedule your Medicare wellness visit every year.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE