November is National Lung Cancer Awareness Month, a time to raise awareness of a disease that affects hundreds of thousands of people in the United States. During this time, it is important to raise awareness of Lung Cancer in your community and inform people of the cancer killer.
Here are a few statistics about Lung Cancer that you should know:
- One in 16 people in the US will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetime.
- More than 222,000 people in the US will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year, with a new diagnosis every 2½ minutes.
- 60% to 65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers.
- 10% to 15% of lung cancer cases are in never smokers.
- Lung cancer accounts for 13% of all new cancer diagnoses but 26% of all cancer deaths.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death, regardless of gender or ethnicity, taking almost 160,000 American lives each year.
- More lives are lost to lung cancer than to colorectal, breast, and prostate cancers combined.
- Lung cancer has been the leading cancer killer of women since 1987, killing almost twice as many women as breast cancer.
- Only 18% of all people diagnosed with lung cancer will survive 5 years or more, BUT if it’s caught before it spreads, the chance for 5-year survival improves dramatically.
Always take care of your health. Work to prevent serious illness by getting routine checkups and watching out for early signs.
Cosmo Insurance Agency can help you find an insurer that will provide either business or individual insurance and provide you with the healthcare options you deserve.