There are more than 1.1 million people living in the U.S. alone living with HIV today. One and 7 people do not know they have it. This could be because of a number of reasons including limited access to health care and testing. The end of the Affordable Care Act can be catastrophic for people living with HIV/AIDS. The Affordable Care Act protects people who have preexisting conditions like AIDS, when they are singing up for insurance. The existing law states that insurance companies cannot refuse coverage based on preexisting conditions. World AIDS day reminds us of how important affordable health care is.
Here are 9 facts on AIDS and why you should pay attention:
1.The Join United Nations Program on HIV and AIDS states that 1.8 million people worldwide became newly infected with HIV in 2016.
2. HIV remains a significant cause of death for certain populations
3. 1 million people have died from AIDS-related illnesses in 2016 worldwide
4. More than half the number of people living with HIV are women
5. According to the World Health Organization, AIDS related illnesses are continuing to be the leading cause of death for women of reproductive age
6. About 36.7 million people were living with HIV worldwide in 2016
7. AIDS was identified as a disease only 33 years ago
8. It is one of the most catastrophic pandemics in history
9. Statistic say 1 in 8 people living with HIV are being denied health services because of stigma and discrimination
World AIDS day remind us of the reasons we help people access health care at Cosmo Insurance Agency. It is important that everyone knows their options for healthcare. We help all of our clients meet their needs with any preexisting conditions they may have. Call us at to learn more about what health care provider is best for you. 732-363-3888.