You've probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating an unhealthy breakfast can be far worse than not eating at all.
A healthy breakfast includes fiber, protein and healthy fats that gives you energy and makes you feel full.
In contrast, an unhealthy breakfast can make you feel sluggish, cause you to gain weight and increase your risk of chronic disease.
Here are the 10 worst foods you can eat in the morning.
1. Breakfast Cereals: many breakfast cereals are even higher in sugar than cookies and desserts. Adding whole grains or artificial vitamins and minerals does not make them a healthy choice.
2. Pancakes and Waffles: they are made from refined flour and topped with high-sugar syrups. They may promote insulin resistance and increase the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes and other diseases.
3. Toast with margarine: raises your blood sugar and insulin levels, causes rebound hunger and increases your risk of weight gain and heart disease.
4. Muffins: usually are high in refined flour, refined vegetable oils and sugar, all of which are very unhealthy.
5. Fruit Juice: Despite a reputation for being healthy, fruit juice is very high in sugar. It actually contains a similar amount as sugary soda.
6. Toaster Pastries: they are high in sugar and refined carbs, yet low in protein, which can increase hunger and food intake.
7. Scones with jam and cream: scones that are topped with cream and jam provide little nutrition other than calories. Easily digested carbs and a lack of fiber can drive hunger, leading to increased food intake and weight gain.
8. Sweetened no-fat yogurt: they are high in sugar and may contain more of it than ice cream. It also lacks the natural dairy fat that can increase fullness.
9. Granola Bars: usually contain several types of sugar that negatively affect blood sugar and insulin levels. They also lack protein and fiber.
10. Processed, gluten-free breakfast foods: gluten-free packaged foods re made with flours that raise blood sugar, which may lead to elevated insulin, increased appetite and weight gain. They also lack protein and fiber, which contribute to fullness.
Breakfast has the potential to set you up for a day of great energy levels, stable blood sugar and control over your appetite and weight.
On the other hand, making a poor choice at breakfast can leave you hungry and struggling to get through the rest of the day.
It can also increase your risk of developing health problems in the future.
If you're going to eat breakfast, make it one that contains protein, healthy fat and fiber from unprocessed, whole foods.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE