A new diet called the "keto diet that is being promoted for uses the body’s own fat burning system to help people lose significant weight in as little as 10 days. This diet is an extreme low or no carb diet that forces the body into ketosis.
What is ketosis?
Ketosis occurs when people eat a low or no carb diet and molecules called ketones build up in their bloodstream.
Low carbohydrate levels cause blood sugar levels to drop and the body begins breaking down fat to use as energy.
The keto diet was created by Dr. Gianfranco Cappello, an associate professor of surgery at the Sapienza University in Rome, Italy. He claims great success among thousands of users. His study shows that more than 19,000 dieters experienced significant, rapid weight loss, few side effects, and most kept the weight off after a year.
According to the reported results, patients lost an average of 22 pounds, after 2.5 cycles of the keto diet. Cappello concluded that the diet was a successful way for overweight and obese people to lose weight, and the few side effects, such as fatigue, are easily managed.
Here are the 9 myths about the keto diet:
1. There’s no science behind the diet: there are actually multiple studies to back the keto diet.
2. It’s high fat and high protein. It isn’t all about fat and protein. The macronutrient split will vary from person to person, depending on weight goals and training goals. A common macro split for the keto diet is high fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrate.
3. You can eat any type of fat. Healthy fats are highly encouraged. Just like with a balanced diet, it’s best to stay away from saturated fats and trans fats.
4. The only benefit is weight loss. It also helps to regulate hormones, stabilize blood sugar levels, enhance cognitive function, and improve gut health.
5. Exercising is not recommended. make sure you’re eating enough and allowing enough time for recovery. You may also notice that you may need more carbs to exercise—it’s fine to up your carb intake a bit on workout days
6. You will lose muscle mass.
7. Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are the same. They are two different conditions Ketoacidosis is a dangerous diabetic complication when the body creates too many ketones in the blood. It’s important to note that this only happens in diabetics or those who have a history of metabolic dysfunction. As for ketosis, it is a metabolic state that occurs when we limit our carbohydrate intake and increases our fat intake, simply switching fuel sources.
8. You will always feel tired. You may feel fatigue during the adjustment period but it will go away.
9. It’s a short-term diet. It depends on your needs and goals. A standard time frame for the diet is two to three months, and then reverting to normal eating patterns for a few weeks.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE
source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/9-myths-about-the-ketogenic-diet/ss-BBPd2cu#image=10 & https://www.healthline.com/health-news/keto-diet-is-gaining-popularity-but-is-it-safe-121914#9