We know how important brushing your teeth is, but do you know why flossing is important for the health of your mouth?
There are a lot of people that think brushing is enough to keep your mouth healthy from bacteria and plaque, but that’s not the case. In order to clean your mouth properly, brushing and flossing both need to be utilized.
Bacteria can easily get in between your teeth and around your gums. If these bacteria remain in your mouth, the chances of cavities and gum disease increase. Flossing reaches areas of your teeth that your toothbrush cannot. In order to properly clean your mouth, flossing needs to be part of your dental health routine.
Here’s the right way to floss…
To receive maximum benefits from flossing, use the following proper technique:
· Starting with about 18 inches of floss, wind most of the floss around each middle finger, leaving an inch or two of floss to work with
· Holding the floss tautly between your thumbs and index fingers, slide it gently up-and-down between your teeth
· Gently curve the floss around the base of each tooth, making sure you go beneath the gumline. Never snap or force the floss, as this may cut or bruise delicate gum tissue
· Use clean sections of floss as you move from tooth to tooth
· To remove the floss, use the same back-and-forth motion to bring the floss up and away from the teeth
At-home hygiene is important, but scheduling regular trips to the dentist is also an important part of keeping your teeth and gums healthy. Give Cosmo a call if you need help finding a dentist in your network or get a free dental insurance quote.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A DENTAL INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
source: https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/basics/brushing-and-flossing/how-to-floss & https://www.royaltondental.com/blog/post/why-is-flossing-so-important.html