Is a good old fashion PB & J sandwich healthy? Sometimes people ask for their kids and sometimes they ask for themselves, as a quick low-cost lunch option. Let’s break it down by ingredients.
SOURCE OF PROTEIN
Two tablespoons of PB contains about 8 grams of protein. Protein helps to maintain, repair, and build damaged tissues in the body. It is important to help recovered after workouts, to maintain lean muscle during weight loss and to help keep you full. The question is, how much PB are using on your sandwich? Back in the day when I used to count calories I often made sure to only include 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter on my sandwiches. This meant I wasn’t getting enough protein or the benefits of protein.
HEART HEALTHY FATS
A two-tablespoon serving of PB also contains about 16 grams of fat which contribute to PB’s calorie density of 180 calories per serving. The majority of this fat is heart-healthy unsaturated fat, more than half of it is monounsaturated fat similar to what is found in olive oil. There is also a small amount of saturated fat in peanut butter. Rejoice because saturated fat isn’t all bad, the link between saturated fat and heart disease is week. New studies suggest that it may actually be protective, especially in plant-based forms.
The healthy fats in peanut butter help keep you fuller for longer, so make sure you have enough on your sandwich, Not just 1/2 tablespoon like I did!
Peanut butter is a good source of potassium which helps to combat the negative effects of sodium in our diet. In addition, it packs an immunity punch with a good amount of Vitamin b6 and Zinc, which promote a healthy immune system. The list continues on and on, but it is worth mentioning its significant concentration of antioxidants Vitamin E and manganese.
HOW TO MAKE A SUPER HEALTHY PB & J SANDWICH:
Ultimately, not all PB & J sandwiches are created equally, follow these easy steps to make sure you’re getting the most nutritional punch out of this classic comfort food!
1. Choose nutrient-dense whole grain bread. Be careful here, this is one of the most common misleading food label tricks! Also, gluten-free friends, watch for a bunch of potato starch and refined carbohydrates in your bread too! Try to find one with whole grains in it as possible (such as brown rice flour.)
2. Get pure natural peanut butter. (Ingredients should be salt and peanut butter, that’s it. See How to Eat More Real Food)
3. Make sure you have 1-2 tablespoons in your sandwich. No less, because you won’t feel full enough, no more because peanut butter is calorie dense. (See How to Eat More Healthy Fats)
4. Pick a healthy jam. The best types are the no sugar added ones which use the natural sweetness of the fruit without any added sugar. Other healthy options are to sub the jelly for slices of banana, apples, or pears. You can always add a drizzle of honey if needed for sweetness!
5. Add some protein on the side. Unfortunately, even if you get a healthy whole grain bread and use enough peanut butter, you’ll probably need to add some protein to help keep you full. If you are able to tolerate dairy, a low sugar greek yogurt or piece of cheese would do the trick. If you can’t tolerate dairy, you may have to get a bit more creative. You may want to check out how to build the adult lunchable.
6. Don’t stack the carbs. Back in the day, I used to have an almond butter and banana sandwich every day, with an apple and carrots on the side. It was so good, but I was always hungry like an hour later. It’s better to stick with non-starchy veggies and protein for your sides. I’d skip the fruit since you already have enough carbs in the bread and banana slices.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE