If you have concerns that a friend or loved one has become a victim of substance dependence, please refer to the following signs/behaviors to help identify addiction:
1. Problems in school (i.e., missing classes, disinterest in school, work or activities, drop in grades).
2. Health issues (i.e., inability to sleep, loss of appetite, lack of energy and motivation, nausea, vomiting, excessive sweating, irregular heartbeat).
3. Cold, sweaty palms, shakiness.
4. Red, watery eyes; pupils larger or smaller than normal.
5. Runny nose or frequent nose running.
6. Frequent jaw twisting or teeth grinding.
7. Poor coordination, hand tremors, forgetfulness.
8. Puffy face, blushing or paleness.
9. Neglected appearances (i.e., lack of interest in clothes, grooming).
10. Behavioral changes (i.e., change in attitude, not allowing family in their personal space, dishonesty, paranoia).
11. Spending money (i.e., sudden requests for money without explanation or evidence of stolen money).
12. Change in activities or hobbies.
13. Overuse of cell phones (buying their next fix or dealing to support their next fix)
14. Use of Xanax (to stay calm between heroin fixes)
Signs of INTOXICATION, by SPECIFIC DRUG
– According to the American Council for Drug Education, an affiliate of Phoenix House.
· Marijuana: Glassy, red eyes; loud talking and inappropriate laughter followed by sleepiness; a sweet burnt scent; loss of interest, motivation; weight gain or loss.
· Alcohol: Clumsiness; difficulty walking; slurred speech; sleepiness; poor judgment; dilated pupils.
· Cocaine, Crack, Meth and Other Stimulants: Hyperactivity; euphoria; irritability; anxiety; excessive talking followed by depression or excessive sleeping at odd times; going long periods of time without eating or sleeping; dilated pupils; weight loss; dry mouth and nose.
· Heroin: Needle marks; sleeping at unusual times; sweating; vomiting; coughing and sniffling; twitching; loss of appetite; contracted pupils; no response of pupils to light.
· Depressants (including barbiturates and tranquilizers): Seems drunk as if from alcohol, but without the associated odor of alcohol; difficulty concentrating; clumsiness; poor judgment; slurred speech; sleepiness; contracted pupils.
· Inhalants (Glues, aerosols, and vapors): Watery eyes; impaired vision, memory and thought; secretions from the nose or rashes around the nose and mouth; headaches and nausea; appearance of intoxication; drowsiness; poor muscle control; anxiety; irritability.
· Hallucinogens: Dilated pupils; bizarre and irrational behavior including paranoia, aggression, hallucinations; mood swings; detachment from people; absorption with self or other objects, slurred speech; confusion.
Signs of CO-DEPENDENCY
Codependency is defined as a psychological condition or a relationship in which someone is in an unhappy and unhealthy relationship that involves living with or providing care for another person who is typically affected by a pathological condition (such as drug addiction or alcohol abuse). Codependent individuals are emotionally dependent on another person at the expense of their own health and quality of life, however this type of behavior is reversible. Please refer to the following signs/behaviors to identify co-dependency:
· Unhealthy dependence on relationships
· Difficulty communicating, making decisions or identifying feelings
· Preoccupation of others’ recovery
· Compulsive/impulsive behaviors
· Poor communication
· Self-pity and poor self esteem
· Fears of abandonment
· Problems with intimacy
· Poor boundaries
HOPE Sheds Light can help call them at 855.850.HOPE
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE