Labor Day means fun, food, and most importantly, relaxing. While you are taking the day off at work, we thought we would share with our Cosmo clients some of our most favorite Labor Day recipes. We personally love Cherry Pie, Yogurt and Fruit Ice Pops, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Watermelon Slushes and Strawberry Shortcake for the day (recipes courtesy of Allreicipies.com). Keep reading on to learn how to make these recipes. Also, don’t forget Open Enrollment is coming! While your recipes cool and cook what better time to review your insurance plans and possibly what new insurance plans might be a good fit for you (don’t worry, we are always here to help)!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening, chilled
1/2 cup cold water
1 pinch salt
1 1/8 cups white sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 pounds sour cherries, pitted
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in the cold shortening until pea-sized (you may use the paddle of a stand mixer for this step, or pulse in a food processor, then transfer to a bowl). Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out half the dough to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Place bottom crust in pie plate, loosely cover with plastic, and refrigerate.
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan; add cherries and toss to coat. Let stand for about 10 minutes to draw out the cherry juices.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C). Place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Bring cherry filling to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute or until the juices thicken and become translucent (filling will thicken further as it cools). Remove from heat and stir in the butter and almond extract. Mix thoroughly and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Roll out second crust and cut into lattice strips or decorative shapes. When filling is cool, pour into bottom pie shell. Cover filling with top crust or cutouts and crimp edges.
- Reduce oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place pie on hot baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 45 to 55 minutes. Let pie cool and set several hours before slicing.
Yogurt and Fruit Ice Pops
2 cups fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and sliced bananas, mixed
2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup white sugar
8 small paper cups
8 popsicle sticks
- Place the mixed blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, sliced bananas, yogurt, and sugar into a blender. Cover, and blend until fruit is chunky or smooth, as desired.
- Fill paper cups 3/4 full with fruit mixture. Cover the top of each cup with a strip of aluminum foil. Poke a popsicle stick through the center of the foil on each cup.
- Place the cups in the freezer for at least 5 hours. To serve, remove foil and peel off the paper cup.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add pudding mix, eggs and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
6 ice cubes
2 cups cubed seeded watermelon
1 teaspoon honey
1. Place the ice cubes into a blender. Cover, and pulse until crushed.
2. Add the watermelon and blend for about 1 minute, until slushy.
3.Add the honey, and blend for about 10 seconds.
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (12 ounce) package prepared pound cake, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Mix the strawberries in a bowl with confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; allow to stand about 15 minutes to form juice. Stir several times.
- Place a slice of pound cake onto a dessert plate, and spoon about 1/3 cup of strawberries and juice over the cake. Place a dollop of whipped topping on the berries, and top with another cake slice. Spoon another tablespoon or so of strawberries over the top to serve.
Insurance coverage can be overwhelming – confusing options, endless paperwork and tedious legalities.
Cosmo Insurance Agency makes it easy. Our team has mastered every detail of the insurance process and will walk you through the process to the end, so you can be 100% confident when signing on the dotted line.
Cosmo’s dedicated service doesn’t end with the selection and signing of your policy. Whether its healthcare, life insurance, long term care, vision, dental, or disability, Cosmo Insurance Agency will be there every step of the way. Our staff maintains close contact and is always only a quick phone call away for questions or concerns relating to billing, provider issues, claims or reimbursements and your insurance renewal. Give us a call today!