Not only is cereal eaten at breakfast but it has not become a popular bedtime snack. Cereal is also used in many cake, cookie and bar recipes. The most popular bar is Rice Crispy Bar Treats.
1. Cheerios were originally named CherriOats
CheeriOats was introduced in May, 1941. Its name changed to Cheerios in 1945 after a trade name dispute with Quaker Oats.
2. Corn Flakes was the first cereal to offer a box prize.
In 1909, The Funny Jungleland Moving Pictures Book came with the purchase of two packages of corn flakes. Probably to make up for the 15 years of bland diets.
3. Since Lucky Charms hit grocery shelves in 1964, the pink heart marshmallow is the only original shape to survive changes over the years.
When the cereal launched, marshmallow shapes included pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars and green clovers. Since then, shapes have come and gone, including blue moons, rainbows and leprechaun hats. Pink hearts are the only original shape that remains.
4. Tony the Tiger competed against three other mascots for the spot as the Kellogg's Frosted Flakes mascot.
Though Elmo the Elephant and Newt the Gnu never graced the front of a cereal box, Katy the Kangaroo appeared on Frosted Flakes boxes for a short time in the 1950s. Tony the Tiger quickly outsold Katy, becoming the official mascot.
5. The word "cereal" comes from the ancient Greek word "Cerealia", a major festival celebrating Ceres, the goddess of agriculture.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE
source: https://mashable.com/2014/06/05/cereal-facts/#ZTrtYWV3.sq4 & https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-cereal-day-march-7/