Understand the current impact that opioid pain medications have on the community with this infographic. It’s important for dentists and patients alike to be informed on the patterns of opioid use. That way, we are all informed and protected if opioid painkillers are prescribed after oral surgery.
Did you know that studies have proven that drugs like Advil and Tylenol (called non-steroidal anti-inflammation drugs) are more effective in treating pain after oral surgery than prescription drugs like Vicodin? Talk to your dentist or oral surgeon about this next time you see them.
Share with your peers about the use of prescription opioids and how to properly dispose of a leftover prescription. We can all contribute to ending the opioid abuse crisis.
How opioid usage changed in America
- In the 1960s 75% of drug users reported heroin as their introduction to opioids.
- In the 2000s 80% of drug users reported prescription drugs as their introduction to opioids.
What are the facts on prescription opioids?
- High schoolers who receive an opioid prescription are 33% more likely to misuse opioids between the ages of 18 and 23
- 20% to 29% of patients prescribed opioids misuse them.
- 40% of opioids overdose deaths involved a prescription opioid.
What is being done?
- The implantation of prescription Drug Monitoring Program, an electronic database that tracks controlled substance prescriptions n a state, has decreased opioid prescriptions in dental offices from 30.6% to 9.6% in 6 months.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) with acetaminophen can be more effective for treating pain than prescription opioids.
What you can do
- Dispose of leftover prescription opioids properly through community -based or DEA-approved drug take back programs, or FDA approved methods.
- Talk to your doctor about pain. Management options for post-operative pain following a procedure.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE