It’s now the end of October and doctors are urging that you should get the flu vaccine if you haven’t already done so. “900,000 people were hospitalized in the United States over the course of the last flu season, getting vaccinated is crucial”, said pediatrician Dr. James Cherry.
Cherry, a professor of pediatrics and infectious diseases at UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine and Mattel Children’s Hospital, stated that, “last year’s flu season was particularly deadly.” He also, said that anyone who has not been vaccinated should get the flu shot as soon as possible.
Here are the symptoms of the flu:
- Fever: The flu almost always causes an increase in your body temperature. This is also known as a fever. Most flu-related fevers range from a low-grade fever around 100°F to as high as 104°F. You may feel “feverish” when you have an elevated temperature. Symptoms include chill, sweats, or being cold despite your body’s high temperature.
- Cough: A dry, persistent cough is common with the flu. The cough may worsen, becoming uncomfortable and painful. You may also experience shortness of breath or chest discomfort during this time.
- Muscle aches: These flu-related muscle pains are most common in your neck, back, arms, and legs. They can often be severe, making it difficult to move even when trying to perform basic tasks.
- Headaches: Your first symptom of the flu may be a severe headache. Sometimes eye symptoms, including light and sound sensitivity, go along with your headache.
- Fatigue: Feeling tired is a not-so-obvious symptom of the flu. Feeling generally unwell can be a sign of many conditions. These feelings of tiredness and fatigue may come on fast and be difficult to overcome.
Flu vaccine myths:
Every year there are common misconceptions around the vaccine. But these myths can be harmful if they lead people to avoid the vaccine unnecessarily.
- Myth #1: You can get the flu from the flu shot
- Myth #2: You don’t need to get a new flu shot every year
- Myth #3: You can be so healthy that you don’t need the vaccine
Bottom line, experts say now is the time to get your flu shot. Despite common misperceptions, the flu shot cannot give you the flu, you cannot be too healthy that you don’t need it and you need to get a new shot every year. Getting the flu shot is crucial this year. Receiving a flu vaccine each year is the best way to protect you and your family from the flu. To determine whether your symptoms are from a cold or from the flu, you need to see your doctor. Your doctor will run tests that can help determine what’s behind your symptoms.
Call Cosmo, we can help you find a doctor in your network. Also, a friendly reminder Open Enrollment is less than two weeks away, start exploring your options.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE