Coconut is actually a great source of digestion-friendly and satiating fiber. You’ll also get vitamin B6, iron, and minerals like magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, and selenium. About half of the saturated fat in coconut comes from lauric acid, which can help raise levels of heart-protective HDL (“good”) cholesterol. In the context of a healthy diet, there’s nothing wrong with using small amounts of coconut oil, but it shouldn’t be the only oil you use.
Coconut water offers a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps balance sodium levels in the body and regulate blood pressure. But the idea that coconut water is more hydrating than plain water or is a superior post workout drink is largely a myth, according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Coconut flour, which is dried, ground coconut meat, it has 5 g of fiber in just 2 tbsp, making it an impressive replacement for traditional white flour, especially for those following a gluten-free diet.
Other Uses for Coconut in your skin and hair
· Apply the oil to your hair for moisture and to tame flyaways.
· Rub the oil on your skin to reduce dryness.
· Slather the oil on your cuticles for an at-home manicure.
· Apply on skin and then wipe off with a tissue to remove makeup.
How to Eat Coconut and Cook With It at Home
If you’re interested in adding coconut to your meals, here are some ideas:
· When you’re baking with coconut flour, replace 20 percent of the flour in a recipe with coconut flour.
· If you’re baking with it, coconut oil has a higher fat percentage than butter. When you’re looking to replace butter with coconut oil, you’ll have to use less oil.
· You can easily replace the oil in any cooking recipe with coconut oil, but make sure you choose the type — virgin or refined — best suited to your particular tastes.
· When it comes to cooking, virgin coconut oil lends a nice tropical, coconutty taste to dishes like stir-fries and curries. Unrefined coconut oil has a more neutral flavor.
· Add coconut milk to your coffee in lieu of creamer.
· Make stove-top popcorn with coconut oil.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE