Self-care is a major catchphrase for 2019, but there’s a reaction that taking time for your mental health is too expensive for the average person. While yes, massages and retail therapy require a good amount of cash, there are plenty of totally free ways to reduce stress.
Taking good care of yourself is paramount to the success of your recovery process. People in recovery find that their physical, spiritual, and emotional health are all connected, and that supporting one supports the others. Taking care of all aspects of you will increase the likelihood that you stay well.
To help support you in your recovery, you can access a three-minute screening tool and progress monitor for depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and PTSD. Click here to take the screener or mark your progress.
Some tips for self-care include:
· Live Healthy, eat healthy foods, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and avoid drugs and alcohol. Manage stress and go for regular medical check-ups.
· Practice good hygiene. Good hygiene is important for social, medical, and psychological reasons in that it not only reduces the risk of illness, but it also improves the way others view you and how you view yourself.
· See friends to build your sense of belonging. Consider joining a support group to make new friends.
· Try to do something you enjoy every day. That might mean dancing, watching a favorite TV show, working in the garden, painting or reading.
· Find ways to relax, like meditation, yoga, getting a massage, taking a bath or walking in the woods.
The importance of incorporating joy, spirit, and relaxation in your life has many implications in developing resiliency (the ability to recover from an illness) and staying healthy. The four C's to joy, spirit, and relaxation are: connect with yourself, connect with others, connect to your community, and create joy and satisfaction. As you use these four C's remember to continue trying to push your comfort levels and do things you may not have done before.
Experts have found that good feelings can boost your ability to deal with stress, solve problems, think flexibly, and even fight disease. Taking care of your body emotionally, physically, and mentally through creating joy and satisfaction is an important part of living with or without a mental health condition.
Studies show that:
· Laughing decreases pain, may help your heart and lungs, promotes muscle relaxation, and can reduce anxiety.
· Positive emotions can decrease stress hormones and build emotional strength.
· Leisure activities offer a distraction from problems, a sense of competence and many other benefits.
Cosmo Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency serving surrounding communities in New Jersey. Cosmo keeps its promise to assure an efficient and creative approach to the services we offer. Each of our clients experience a personalized and long-term relationship with us. Our New Jersey based team of health brokers guides our clients in helping them choose the most cost-effective options. By incorporating the latest in technology-based tools and laws on healthcare, employee benefits, life insurance and finance, we keep our clients up-to-date with the plans that encompass all of their needs, whether it is individual or group insurance.
GET A HEALTH INSURANCE QUOTE NOW
LEARN MORE ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE
Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/mentalhealth/why-self-care-is-essential-for-mental-health/ar-AAENQ14 & https://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/taking-good-care-yourself